Module Twelve: Wrapping Up
We carry inside us the wonders we seek outside us.
Although this course is coming to a close, we hope that your journey toward improving mindfulness is just beginning. Please take a moment to review and update your action plan. This will be a key tool to guide your progress in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. We wish you the best of luck on the rest of your travels!
- Thích Nhất Hanh: Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.
- Amit Ray: If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.
- James Baraz: Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).
- Jon Kabat-Zinn: You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness and peacefulness. This of course would be an attachment to stillness, and like any other strong attachment, it leads to delusion. It arrests development and short-circuits the cultivation of wisdom.
- Define mindfulness
- Develop techniques to make oneself more attuned to the present moment
- Understand the value and utility of one’s emotions
- Learn how to identify and counter distorted thinking
- Learn how to cultivate genuine positive emotions
- Become more fully present in social interactions